Friday, June 7, 2013

Family

My Family
As I am sure many of you know, this is my family. My mother, father, sister, and I (our dog could not come to the Otesaga). What few of you know is that my parents are in the process of getting divorced. now, let me explain, there is no enmity between them, they are still best friends, but they will no longer be married. My mother had struggled for some time with her identity, and when she found it, she thought that she could suppress it long enough for Mary and I to go off to college. But, as we all know, lying to yourself to lie to others is unhealthy, and she finally accepted that. My mother is a Lesbian. I love her no less, she will still always be my mother, and I am happy and proud she can be herself and be proud of it.

Now I realize I sorta jumped into things in the middle, so here is a little bit of a background of my family. My parents met at Bowling Green University, and were eventually married. On August 28, 1997, I was born in Flower Hospital in Toledo, Ohio. Around two weeks later, our move to Madison, Wisconsin was completed. There, my dad took classes at and taught at the University of Wisconsin. He almost got his doctorate, but decided not to, realizing that with a doctorate, it would be hard to find a job that suited him. In  Madison, my mom was a real estate agent and my dad worked for Music Notes, a music publishing company. On October 26, 1999, my sister would be born in Madison Wisconsin. after we had lived in Madison for about six years, my mom was diagnosed with Chiari, a type of inflammation at the base of the brain. (For more info visit http://www.conquerchiari.org/index.html ) After her diagnosis, and subsequent brain surgery, we moved back to the town where my father had grown up, Cooperstown New York, our current residences. there, my dad started working for schools as a music teacher, eventually ending up in Laurens, and then Cooperstown Central School, where he is my band teacher. He also played and still plays at restaurants and parties and other events. I occasionally join him on my trumpet. My mother when we first moved here tried to take nursing classes, but the pain from the chiari forced her to be unable to do work like this, so she made jewelry and sold it. although she eventually ended this official business, she will still make necklaces if people order them. My mom did not work for some time, and would have to visit the doctor often, but it seems that she is getting better, and so she has been volunteering her time as a chaplain, and is going to be going to school to get a degree (if I remember correctly, a masters in Divinity).

This is my family. My sister and I through all of this grew up with friends and family surrounding us, going to school and playing. My family is very musical, at least my immediate family, and we love to play card and board games. We are also at the moment hosting a foreign exchange student Peter WaitForIt Kulacs (we gave him his middle name, as he didn't have one), who is from Hungary. I'll stop rambling. 
Until next time,
~Robert

No comments:

Post a Comment